Core group meeting minutes Nov 17

FILM NIGHTS

– New suggestions (from Linda):

  • Chasing Coral, freely accessible on the net (and Netflix)
  • Chasing Ice (but costly to screen)
  • Modified (non GMO labelling in US and CA)
  • Just Eat It (food waste in US and CA)
  • Greenpeace Film Festival

We the Uncivilised (suggested by Karen) – showing in Lewes at “The Depot” on Wed 29th Nov at 20h – could somebody go and check whether it is worth bringing to Hastings

Issue of cost of movie rental, but this could be covered by donations or a small ticket (e.g. £3 per person)

As a side suggestion – Karen suggests sending a podcast with each newsletter, invited everyone to send through interesting podcasts

Location:

  • The Palace – available for free
  • Electric Palace – charge

ACTION: Linda to follow up and check cost of screening for her suggested titles

UPDATE ON QUAKERS MEETING (Sherry)

  • Great wealth of experience in community work
  • Interest in partnering up with TTH
  • Training in New Economics (3-year project)
    • Keen on sharing this through open reading / training groups

OLD BATHING GROUND AREA (Update from Ken)

  • Issue is still outstanding and a decision should be taken by Xmas
  • Site in question still needs work done on it before the Council could sell it
    • Some asbestos contamination
    • Brief from Council is to have lots of affordable housing + a leisure element

FOOD WASTE CAMPAIGN (Update from Chris)

  • Discussion stuck – Peter Chowney not showing clarity about issues at stake
  • Lots of outstanding issues in the email track that need addressing – of which food waste is a small issues compared to the entire procurement process
  • Further updates to come

 

ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

ADMIN

Complete signed constitution

  • Some items still need to be added by Chris before final version can be circulated

ACTION: Sarah and Chris to finalise

Clarification of roles –Co-Chairs, Co Secretaries to meet separately to clarify division of roles

Monthly meetings: first Monday of the month, postponed by a week if it falls on a Bank Holiday. Next meeting on Monday 4th December

ACTION: Sarah to book meeting room for next meeting

MEETING WITH NEW STATION MANAGER (Alison) – see Appendix I

SECOND WATER BUTT

  • Small water tank already bought
  • Aim to install a second tank in parallel
  • Quaker fund to possibly contribute £400
  • SouthEastern also suggested they might contribute but unwilling to commit a clear budget

“DONATION PILE” at the garden (suggestion by Linda)

  • Should we have an area where any excess produce by any individual can be brought and offered to the community
  • Objection is that it takes time and effort to build a dedicated structure

SIGN-UP SHEET for “Leaders” at the garden sessions

ACTION: Sarah to review dates for fortnightly sessions and update sign-up sheet

ENERGY GROUP MEETING on 9th NOVEMBER

  • Kate to report at next Core Group
  • Looking at establishing a project at the Pier to generate energy through kinetic action of waves on a platform

COMMUNITY COMPOSTING

  • If the council is not willing to do this, should community initiatives be started instead ?
  • Chris to look around the country at community recycling initiatives
  • Lidia suggests to contact allotment associations and check if they could collect household food waste

EVENTS

  • Friday 24th at the Beacon, 18.00-22.00. Talk on “Climate Change, The Anthropocene, & Language – Nicholas Royle & Alex Lockwood In Conversation”.

ACTION: Green Drinks: Karen to arrange with Scott and Anna (possibly again in Ore?)

ACTION: Karen to put together next issue of newsletter

FUNDRAISING

  • Bags of Help (Tesco) to subsidise a mosaic from a local artist outside SLQ station – still waiting to hear from them (£2.000 for winner, £1.000 for runners-up)
  • Trinity Wholefoods offering £500 – to apply for funding for new tools
  • Could somebody check with B&Q and other DIY / garden centres for possible contributions
  • A volunteer was found to cut out a “COMMUNITY GARDEN” sign in individual letters to go on the railings

MEMBERSHIP

  • HVA contributed more detail to the updated constitution
  • Discussion:
    • Should we have a database of “members” including areas of interest / skills to coordinate action groups
  • Sarah mentioned the intention to publish a directory of groups and companies doing community work in specific areas to coordinate efforts
  • We could be suggesting monthly contributions (Standing Orders) form members

SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT HASTINGS

ACTION Update from Laurie to be put on the agenda for next month

FINANCE

  • £518 total balance between bank and cash
  • TRIODOS bank account – Chris to look into conditions for TTC to transfer the account over to them (and conditions for a community account)

AOB

  • Local resident (LC) applying for an Arts Council funding for an event in December
    • Possibly in the building of the “Old Italian” restaurant
    • Suggesting a Xmas present swapping event – but objection to this is that we should be actually fundraising for cash rather than swaps.
  • HULL (CITY OF CULTURE) is using lights to make tower blocks more attractive – could be applied to Pier – mentioned by Sherry
  • Local resident (PO) (illumination schemes internationally) would like to establish a “trade show” for renewable projects on the Pier – mentioned by Sarah
  • SPICES – COMMUNITY CURRENCY – mentioned by Sherry
    • Recycling earns you time credits to incentivise positive behaviour
    • Time credits can also be exchanged at partnering organisations (eg college training, “paintball events”…)
    • Suggestion to start a time-bank in Hastings ?

 

 

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.transitiontownhastings.org.uk/core-group-meeting-minutes-nov-17/
SHARE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *