Transition Town Hastings ~ Meeting Minutes 20/09/17

Projects

Garden:

  • explanation of garden project – where we are at
  • Open Day 22nd Oct 12-3pm
  • Alex explained that Quakers do small grants (£400) we could use towards a water butt – we would have to raise another 400 as the cost is 800.

Energy Group:

  • Ken reported 3 ideas being explored
  1. Hastings Pier – to make it an electric generator/ renewably run
  2. twinning with German town Schwerte
  3. Wasn’t sure ? But maybe Anthony’s idea of mapping all the solar power in the town and connecting it?

 

Chris connected with someone from Wave Energy – talked about wave machine on pier.

Possibility of a feasibility study for a scheme across Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings. Approx cost of study is £10,000. Chris going to look into it more – connect with Richard and ESC! Think Chris will be attending the next Energy group meeting.

ACTION: Karen – add Chris to mailing list (DONE)

 

Packaging:

Karen explained the project we had in mind, starting with survey to assess the current situation with local food takeaway businesses

Possibility of affinity scheme to get a discount from eco packing companies with a mass order

Problems we came across were needing more people and support but also, what would happen to the packaging when disposed of? Compostable materials cannot go in landfill waste or recycling.

This lead to a discussion about food waste collection in Hastings and the petition to ESCC by the Green Party.

Should TTH partner with GP to help push this forward before pursuing the packaging project?

ACTION: Chris to send Karen info from Judy Scott (GP Secretary) about food waste petition and Karen to mail out to members

Ken mentioned the new sports complex proposed for Filsham Valley area – could this be a good place for an anaerobic digester?

ESCC contract with Kier has come to an end – good opportunity to push for alternative waste disposal?

 

Janice: unsure about what should happen to all the recycling – not always clear. Info from Veolia trip would be useful – FORGOT TO MENTION THERE IS SOME INFO ON THE TTH WEBSITE!

 

Events

AGM:

  • 21st Oct 10-12 @ White Rock Hotel
  • speakers: Gabriel Carlyle from Fossil Free Hastings/Divest East Sussex
  • possibly TT Deal
  • Sherry; are we sending out official invites to HBC and local councillors/stakeholders?

Energy Day:

  • 1066 energy campaign day on the Stade 10th Sept
  • not much said on this but some attendees were there – said it was good, collected some signatures for FFH

Film Nights:

  • after AGM now – hoping to get someone to volunteer to organise
  • Felicity and Richard suggested showing new Al Gore film – maybe first and second
  • Sassie suggested ‘We the Uncivilised’ – really good but makers want £100 to show film and give a talk Q&A. We could take donations/small charge on the door again?

Other:

  • Felicity – Hastings Supports Refugees event organised for 27th Sept ‘Hastings Debates’ hoping to be a regular event. Would help the interconnection of groups in Hastings. TTH to promote. ACTION – Felicity to send digital copy of poster to Karen who will share with mailing list

 

  • Alex; Quakers event at Friends Meeting House Sat 7th Oct (evening), ‘preparing people for the next economic collapse’
  • plenary session and Q&A inviting 4 groups to speak including TTH
  • focus on resilience

ACTION: Sherry to send info to core group

 

A.O.B

 

Ken – Ore CLT & Heart of Hastings CLT, Old Power Station Site in Ore Valley. Bill Dunster (eco housing guy) involved

Feasibility study to connect greenway from hastings station to Ore Valley (is this correct I can’t read Chris’ writing!?)

 

Old bathing pool site (west St Leonards) up for sale – perfect for a CLT – do we know anyone in that area? Encourage community in that area to set up a CLT. HBC have £200,000 sitting in the bank to be spent on CLT’s – already given money to HoH CLT and Ore CLT

 

ACTION: Karen speak to Mat and Tom and contact HBC to ask for an info pack on the site and send to Ken.

 

Discussion about Eco Pods for the homeless. Empty properties in Hastings

 

Sherry: Well-Being event this weekend. Looking for case studies of people being brought together in a positive way – HSR picnic? Felicity?

 

Summary of Actions

 

CHRIS P: send Karen info from Judy Scott about food waste campaign

KAREN: add Chris R to mailing list (done), mail out food waste petition info to members of this meeting & a Mailchimp to gather support, send out Hastings Debates promo to mailing list, speak to Mat & Tom about bathing pool site and contact HBC to request info pack

FELICITY: email Hastings Debates poster to Karen

SHERRY: send info about Quakers event to core team

 

Meeting Adjourned.

Next Meeting tbc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.transitiontownhastings.org.uk/transition-town-hastings-meeting-minutes-200917/
SHARE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *